5 Fun Facts You May Not Have Known About 5 De Mayo
The most exciting fiesta of the year is right around the corner and lots of people are getting ready to celebrate. Where better to celebrate this Mexican fiesta than in Mexico!? Imanta private beach resort is the perfect secluded getaway, and 5 de Mayo is your perfect excuse for a luxurious vacation in Punta de Mita!
In light of this important date in Mexico, we’ve decided to share 5 facts about 5 de Mayo that you may not have known:
- No, 5 de Mayo is not Mexico’s Independence Day. Mexico won its independence on September 16th. The 5th of May actually commemorates the anniversary of the battle between Mexico and France. Mexicans were highly outnumbered and were expected to lose the battle, but they ended up winning! Understandably, the battle became a source of pride and celebration for the whole country.
- Surprisingly enough, 5 de Mayo is not a federal holiday in Mexico. Although, in Puebla and Veracruz, there is abundant celebration in the form of parades, festivals, reenactments and of course, fiestas!
- An estimated 81 million pounds of avocados are consumed every year on 5 de Mayo in the Unites States!
- One state in the U.S. celebrates the holiday by holding Chihuahua races. Is this of Mexican origin? No…but it’s kind of hilarious.
- The largest 5 de Mayo celebration isn’t held in Puebla. It’s actually held in Los Angeles, where tequila sales on that day increase by 100%.
Have your own personal 5 de Mayo celebration in paradise by booking your 5-star villa-suite or beachfront villa at Imanta Resorts! There will be no shortage of margaritas.
Learn more about a luxury 5 de Mayo vacation in Punta de Mita at Imanta Resorts.